Right now, I have an album’s worth of songs, waiting to be finished and recorded. I just need to … well … actually roll up my sleeves and get em done.
Why aren’t those songs recorded yet? Partly because I’m a bit of a procrastinator. Party because I do a lot professionally (busy job, second job speaking, writing & consulting). Partly because I have a busy family.
OK. Mainly because of the procrastination bit.
What do I have left to do on my songs? Bunches:
- All the lyrics are written.
- Most of those lyrics have some sketch of a melody, at least for the chorus.
- I need to sit down with my guitar and those lyrics, and finalize the melody lines.
- Then I need to figure out the details of the song – the intro, the order (i.e., intro, verse 1, chorus, bridge, solo, etc.), and the ending.
- Then … I need to record some sort of scratch track, probably with my voice, guitar, and a click track.
- Then on to recording the music!
But my plan, procrastination be danged, is to finish all those songs this year. I can do it!
How about you? Do you have some songs in your head, and you’ve been putting off finishing them? I’d love to hear about it – please share in the comments.
We’ll finish those songs yet!
Image by Charles Hutchins